Dates Available: 27th June (Sun), 30th June (Tues)
Timing: 0900 – 1300 hrs
Duration: 4 hours
Meeting Place: Tour Desk
Min Grp Size: 10 pax
Intensity: 2 / 5
Wheelchair Accessible: No
Price: SGD$132. Early Bird Price: SGD$119 (Book before 30th April 2020)
Note: Participants are to make their own way to MBS Convention and back to respective hotel for tours should the convention shuttle services have ended. This is mostly applicable for night tours and tours on 30th June
This is not just an eating tour. It is also about Singapore’s beloved wet and dry markets, hawker centers, the origins and heritage of our foods like local kopi (coffee), belachan (chilli), roti prata and more. Come on this tour with an empty belly and a thirst for an in-depth journey of Singapore Food.
Visit a local hawker center to get a taste of the best of the best of local dishes. At a local wet market, learn about the local ingredients and when these ingredients are used in Singapore (and Asian) dishes. Go behind-the-scenes of two family-run shops/factories like curry-puff making. Get a hands-on lesson in popiah rolling and have lunch. Then, try the beloved putu piring that is arguably, Singaporean’s favorite snack/dessert. See how it’s made and eat as many as you want!
NOTE: As this is a food tour with food containing nuts, guests with dietary restrictions may not be able to fully enjoy the variety of Singapore’s local food. Please indicate dietary restrictions during tour sign-up. We will try to accommodate guests with dietary restriction on a best-efforts basis.
What makes this tour unique?
- A very local and authentic experience of Singapore’s wet market and hawker centre
- Ability to sample 8-10 different types of food, snacks and drinks unique to Singapore’s culture
- Exclusive access to two family run food businesses
- Capture the best photos and videos at scenic spots
- Discover lesser-known areas with rich stories shared by our local guides
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Pick-up and drop-off at conference venue
- Local Guide
- Snacks and drinks
- One bottle of mineral water
Tour Intensity Explained
- Intensity 2: Walks are rarely over 2 hours in duration and 5km/3 miles in distance. Walking is mostly limited to flat terrain, though some stairs climbing may be required.
- Intensity 3: Walks are rarely over 2 hours in duration and 5km/3 miles in distance. Walking is mostly limited to flat terrain, but there might be some slops and steps involved
- Intensity 4: Walks may exceed 2 hours in duration and up to approx. 8km/5 miles per day, including walks on rocky and rugged ground, sometimes off the beaten track, including some challenging tracks, paths requiring a good sense of balance, and long uphill or downhill stretches.
Note: All listed tours have an intensity level between 2 to 4.
Itinerary (Timings are indicative and is subject to changes)
0900 – Tour departure from Tour Desk
0930 – Geylang Serai Market Walkabout
1000 – Food Sampling at Singapore’s Local Hawker
1100 – Behind the scenes of a Curry Puff factory
1130 – Hands on Popiah rolling (Popiah is Singapore’s version of crepes with radish fillings)
1230 – Depart back to starting point
Things to Note:
- This tour is not wheelchair accessible.
- Please bring along poncho/umbrella and water to stay hydrated.
- Dress code is casual with comfortable footwear.
- A minimum of 10 pax is required to start the tour. In the event the tour is cancelled due to the minimum participants not being met, a full refund will be provided.
- A tour confirmation email will be sent 48hours prior to tour date.
- No switching of tours allowed due to the need for resource planning.
- Guests are advised to be punctual. Late comers will have to make their own way to the next site.
- No refunds will be provided for no-show on tour date.
- As this is a food tour with food containing nuts, guests with dietary restrictions may not be able to fully enjoy the variety of Singapore’s local food. Please indicate dietary restrictions during tour sign-up. We will try to accommodate guests with dietary restriction on a best-efforts basis.
- The tour will start and end at MBS. Tour participants can use the LCI shuttle bus service to travel between Hotel and MBS during shuttle bus operating hours. If no shuttle service is operating, the participant will need to take a taxi or public transport to their hotel. This cost is not included in the tour price.
- For cancellation before 1st June 0000hrs (GMT+8), delegates will receive a refund of 30% of the tour’s retail price.
- For cancellation after 1st June 0000hrs (GMT+8), no refund will be provided