Dates Available: 26th June (Fri), 28th June (Sun), 30th June (Tues)
Timing: 2.30pm – 5pm
Duration: 2.5 hours
Meeting Place: Tour Desk
Min Grp Size: 10 pax
Intensity: 2 / 5
Wheelchair Accessible: No
Price: SGD$85. Early Bird Price: SGD$77 (Book before 30th April 2020)
Note: Participants are to make their own way to MBS Convention and back to respective hotel for tours should the convention shuttle services have ended. This is mostly applicable for night tours and tours on 30th June
You might have heard about the beginnings of the Peranakan culture in Singapore, of how history married two cultures – Chinese and Malay – into one. However, have you heard about how the Peranakans have also modernised along with time in this fast-paced world, while maintaining their essence? This tour steers away from the usual traditional programmes, onto the revolutionised Peranakan elements of tomorrow.
Firstly, get an introduction of the Peranakan Heritage from one of the most colourful Peranakan shophouses in Singapore. Marvel at the architecture and the attention to details that speaks of generations of stories as you walk down the corridors of these shophouses. We will then step into a restored Peranakan home and admire the many antiques and heirlooms worthy of any museum collection. This is also the chance to pick a beautiful piece of kebaya (a traditional blouse-dress) or a hand-beaded shoes for yourself or as a gift to someone. Finally, your taste buds will get a treat from the flavourful and colourful pastries that this culture is so famous for.
What makes this tour unique?
- Learn about Peranakans, who they are, what do they, and how did they came to be
- Experience Peranakan culture in a beautifully restored, conserved heritage building
- Sample Peranakan pastries and learn the stories and meanings behind each of them
- Be a collector of Peranakan clothing, souvenirs and food
- Capture the best photos and videos at scenic spots
- Discover lesser-known areas with rich stories shared by our local guides
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Pick up and drop-off at conference venue
- Local Guide
- Admission tickets
- Peranakan snacks
- One bottle of mineral water
Tour Intensity Explained
- Intensity 2: Walks are rarely over 2 hours in duration and 5km/3 miles in distance. Walking is mostly limited to flat terrain, though some stairs climbing may be required.
- Intensity 3: Walks are rarely over 2 hours in duration and 5km/3 miles in distance. Walking is mostly limited to flat terrain, but there might be some slops and steps involved
- Intensity 4: Walks may exceed 2 hours in duration and up to approx. 8km/5 miles per day, including walks on rocky and rugged ground, sometimes off the beaten track, including some challenging tracks, paths requiring a good sense of balance, and long uphill or downhill stretches.
Note: All listed tours have an intensity level between 2 to 4.
Itinerary (Timings are indicative and is subject to changes)
9.15am – Tour departure from Tour Desk
1430 – Tour of Koon Seng Shophouses
1500 – Step foot into a Peranakan family home and sample traditional Nyonya pastries, as well as take home a piece of peranakan clothings with you.
1600 – Depart back to starting point
Things to Note:
- This tour is not wheelchair accessible.
- Please bring along poncho/umbrella and water to stay hydrated.
- Dress code is casual with comfortable footwear.
- A minimum of 10 pax is required to start the tour. In the event the tour is cancelled due to the minimum participants not being met, a full refund will be provided.
- A tour confirmation email will be sent 48hours prior to tour date.
- No switching of tours allowed due to the need for resource planning.
- Guests are advised to be punctual. Late comers will have to make their own way to the next site.
- No refunds will be provided for no-show on tour date.
- The tour will start and end at MBS. Tour participants can use the LCI shuttle bus service to travel between Hotel and MBS during shuttle bus operating hours. If no shuttle service is operating, the participant will need to take a taxi or public transport to their hotel. This cost is not included in the tour price.
- For cancellation before 1st June 0000hrs (GMT+8), delegates will receive a refund of 30% of the tour’s retail price.
- For cancellation after 1st June 0000hrs (GMT+8), no refund will be provided